The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree in some famous families.
It’s all in the family.
The PBS show Finding Your Roots has made the surprising discovery that Senator Bernie Sanders and actor Larry David are related — an unexpected revelation that doesn’t seem too shocking when you consider how well David portrayed Senator Sanders during the 2016 election on Saturday Night Live.
“[Sanders is] in the line… like a third cousin, or something,” the Curb Your Enthusiasm star said at a Television Critics Association press event in Beverly Hills this week, according to the Los Angeles Times. “I am very happy about that. I figured there was some connection.”
Here are a few other surprise celebrity relations you might not have known about.
1. Amy Schumer and Sen. Chuck Schumer — Actress Amy Schumer’s father is New York Senator and Democratic Minority Leader Chuck Schumer’s cousin, which makes Amy and Chuck first cousins, once removed. In 2015, the pair joined forces at a press conference in New York to promote the Senator’s gun control proposal, after a fatal shooting took place at a screening of Amy’s film Trainwreck in Louisiana. And when President Trump blasted the Senator on Twitter in January 2017, labeling him “Fake Tears Chuck,” Amy publicly came to his aid, writing this about her cousin on Instagram:
This is what he was thinking about at 621am. This was his tweet after his first soldier died. Also 8 Yemeni women and 7 children died and trump called the raid "successful" Also I know chuck Schumer and HE CANNOT act trust me. He can barely smile on cue. He can't help but be transparent and genuine. He was hurt for those people and all the people facing such unconstitutional injustice. Trump is about to bombard us with so many awful decisions. His Supreme Court pick will be terrifying and he will try and stop same sex adoption and all our other nightmares. We can't get burnt out or overwhelmed and distracted. We need to stay focused and organized. Tell your friends who say "I'm just not political" that that doesn't cut it anymore. We need people alert and fighting for each other's rights. Tell your sheltered friends to wake up and help. If you live somewhere where youve never even met a Muslim person and it feels like this doesn't really affect you. It does. A Muslim ban is so unconstitutional and cruel. They are good, hard working people and a refugee from the countries he isn't letting people in from have never committed any acts of terrorism on US soil. Never. We need to fight this now and together. Call congress. Call the senate. We need to wake up and rise up together. People need our help.
2. Jenny McCarthy and Melissa McCarthy — These first cousins have made millions of Americans laugh for years. Jenny helped Melissa launch her career back in the 90s, as a guest star on her sitcom, according to People; when a rumor surfaced in 2014 that Jenny allegedly advised Melissa to lose some weight, the former co-host of ABC’s The View hit back, saying: “When [Melissa] was starting out, I was fortunate enough to be in a position to get her a job on a show I was doing, to learn the ropes and get some experience on a TV set in front of the camera and behind the scenes… She has accomplished everything she has accomplished through hard work and her extraordinary talent, and I’ve only ever encouraged and supported and wished her the very best.”
3. Snoop Dogg and Brandy — These two musicians are first cousins, too — but kept it a secret for a long time. In 2006, Snoop — who is, therefore, a first cousin of Brandy’s famous brother Ray J, as well — told MTV: “Brandy’s my first cousin. We never really told the world because we weren’t trippin’ off of that, but that’s my family,” according to Yahoo.
4. Lenny Kravitz and Al Roker — The singer and TODAY Show weatherman had grandfathers who were cousins, which makes them cousins too. Roker revealed the connection on NBC’s TODAY Show back in 2011. “All I know is I’m going with it,” Roker said. “Kids think it’s cool.”
5. Madonna and Hillary Clinton — The “Vogue” singer and former Secretary of State are tenth cousins, sharing “the same great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents — 17th century French ancestors who moved to Quebec and then came south,” the Washington Post reported in 2007. Clinton confirmed the story to Ellen DeGeneres, saying simply: “That’s true.” The 2016 Democratic presidential nominee is part of an extended family that includes a number of high-profile women, like Angelina Jolie — a ninth cousin, twice removed. Other cousins of Clinton’s include Prince Charles’ wife Camilla Parker-Bowles, and singer Celine Dion. The Post reported that Washington genealogist William Addams Rietwiesner originally uncovered these surprising connections.
6. Brad Pitt and Barack Obama — Angelina Jolie may be cousins with Hillary, but her soon-to-be-ex husband Brad Pitt is ninth cousins with Barack. The Oscar-winning actor and the 44th President are related, according to findings gathered by the New England Historic Genealogical Society. “[Obama’s] kinships are across the political spectrum,” said genealogist Christopher Childs, according to a report in The Telegraph from 2008. In this case, Pitt and the President share an ancestor named Edwin Hickman, “who died in Virginia in 1769,” according to The Guardian. Obama’s mother was a descendent of one of Hickman’s sons, and Pitt is a descendent of the other. Don’t expect this unusual group — Clinton, Obama, Pitt, and Jolie — to be reuniting for family gatherings anytime soon though. Jolie and Pitt are locked in an ongoing divorce battle.
© 2017 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved