Bill Belichick and Mike McCarthy manage to stay warm during this weekend’s NFL playoff games
Mike McCarthy knows how to keep it hot.
On the football field, that is. As game-day temperatures drop well below freezing and snow blankets the field, the Green Bay Packers head coach turns to cutting-edge technology to stay warm. He wore a Nike $200 goose-down-filled parka made from 10,000-millimeter waterproof fabric (this means that if you put a one-inch-by-one-inch tube over said fabric, the tube can technically be filled with 10,000 millimeters of water before there’s leakage), while guiding the Packers to victory over the Giants on a 10 degrees Fahrenheit (that’s negative 12 degrees Celsius) day.
— Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) January 9, 2017
But on the other side of the field, things weren’t going as well. Giants coach Ben McAdoo seemed chilly in his $125 nylon, quilted vest , worn over a $125 microfiber fleece — though, admittedly, he must have been toastier than Odell Beckham Jr., who warmed up topless. Thanks to a multiyear deal between the NFL and Nike that’s reportedly worth $1.1 billion, NFL players and coaches only wear that brand on game day. (A Giants spokesman didn’t respond to a request for comment.)
For the rest of us, this is a lesson in how to dress for cold weather. You can buy the coat McCarthy wore from Nike for $200. But you can also get similarly warm gear for less, like the waterproof, 80% down-filled BGSD parka for $99 on Amazon (feathers constitute the other 20%). Look for a down jacket with a 550 or higher down quality rating, which will give you a combination of lighter weight and extra warmth. Prices tend to range from about $100 to $300. (Down comes from the undercoat of specific birds; it’s usually softer and is considered to have better insulating qualities than feathers.)
Other cold-weather secrets football players and their coaches know: Put Vaseline on your face to protect it from the cold. And beware of layering: Though it may keep you warm, it can be tricky to pull off, as former Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher discovered when he could not find the challenge flag among his many pockets during a game last year.
If you want to feel as warm as an NFL player does on a cold day, you’ll have to sacrifice style for heat. A GQ scribe once called football coaches’ collective sartorial sensibilities “no style,” and tight end Vernon Davis decried his often-fleece-clad coach: “When it comes to style, I don’t think Coach Harbaugh has any.” Still, in below-freezing conditions, we bet you won’t care much.
This article was originally published on MarketWatch.
© 2017 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved